TLP is a free and open-source power management tool for Linux systems that helps to optimize battery life and reduce overheating. It provides advanced power management settings that are not available by default on most Linux distributions. TLP is designed to be lightweight, easy to use, and highly customizable.
TLP automatically adjusts various system settings based on the current power source (AC or battery) to optimize power consumption. It can control CPU frequency scaling, manage power-hungry hardware components, adjust Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings, and much more. TLP also provides a command-line interface for more advanced users to configure additional settings.
Some of the key features of TLP include:
- Battery optimization: TLP can help to extend battery life by reducing power consumption when on battery power, such as by reducing screen brightness and disabling hardware that is not necessary.
- Thermal management: TLP can help to reduce overheating by adjusting the CPU frequency scaling, reducing the load on the CPU and other hardware.
- Command-line interface: TLP provides a command-line interface for more advanced users to configure additional settings.
- Compatibility: TLP is compatible with most Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Arch Linux, and others.
If you encounter the below error while running the command tlp:
tlp: command not found
you may try installing the below package as per your choice of distribution:
|Debian||apt-get install tlp|
|Ubuntu||apt-get install tlp|
|Alpine||apk add tlp|
|Arch Linux||pacman -S tlp|
|Kali Linux||apt-get install tlp|
|Fedora||dnf install tlp|
|Raspbian||apt-get install tlp|
tlp Command Examples
1. Apply settings (according to the actual power source):
# sudo tlp start
2. Apply battery settings (ignoring the actual power source):
# sudo tlp bat
3. Apply AC settings (ignoring the actual power source):
# sudo tlp ac
Overall, TLP is a powerful tool for managing power consumption on Linux systems, and is particularly useful for laptop users who want to optimize their battery life and reduce overheating. TLP is easy to install and use, and provides advanced power management features that are not available by default on most Linux distributions.