DAPS (DocBook Authoring and Publishing Suite) is an open-source program that is designed to transform DocBook XML files into various output formats, such as HTML or PDF. DocBook is a widely used markup language for creating structured documentation, and DAPS provides a comprehensive set of tools and utilities to simplify the process of authoring and publishing DocBook-based documents.
Here are some key features and functionalities of DAPS:
- Transformation: DAPS allows you to transform DocBook XML files into different output formats, including HTML, PDF, EPUB, and more. It uses XSLT (Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations) stylesheets to define the conversion rules and generate the desired output.
- Customization: DAPS provides a flexible configuration system that allows you to customize the transformation process according to your specific requirements. You can modify the XSLT stylesheets or use custom stylesheets to control the appearance and layout of the output documents.
- Localization: DAPS supports localization and internationalization of DocBook documents. You can easily translate the content into different languages and generate localized versions of the output formats.
- Metadata Handling: DAPS enables you to manage metadata associated with the DocBook documents. It allows you to specify document properties, such as title, author, copyright information, and more. This metadata can be automatically included in the generated output documents.
- Link Management: DAPS provides utilities for managing links within the DocBook documents. It ensures that links are properly resolved and generated in the output formats, allowing users to navigate between different sections or pages of the document.
- Styling and Formatting: DAPS allows you to define and apply custom styles and formatting rules to the output documents. You can control the typography, page layout, headers and footers, table of contents, and other visual aspects of the generated output.
- Documentation Workflow: DAPS offers a comprehensive documentation workflow that includes features like version control integration, document validation, spell checking, and more. It helps streamline the authoring and publishing process and ensures the quality and consistency of the generated documents.
- Extensibility: DAPS is designed to be extensible, allowing you to integrate additional tools and functionalities into the documentation workflow. You can create custom plugins or extensions to enhance the capabilities of DAPS and tailor it to your specific needs.
DAPS provides a powerful and efficient solution for transforming DocBook XML files into various output formats. It simplifies the process of creating professional-looking documentation by automating the conversion and styling tasks. Whether you need to generate HTML pages for online documentation, PDF files for printable manuals, or other output formats, DAPS offers a comprehensive suite of tools and utilities to meet your documentation needs.
daps Command Examples
1. Check if a DocBook XML file is valid:
# daps -d /path/to/file.xml validate
2. Convert a DocBook XML file into PDF:
# daps -d /path/to/file.xml pdf
3. Convert a DocBook XML file into a single HTML file:
# daps -d /path/to/file.xml html --single
4. Display help:
# daps --help
5. Display version:
# daps --version