IIS is an extensible web server developed by Microsoft. Below are some of the features of the IIS web server.
- HTTP/2: HTTP/2 requests are now faster than ever. This feature is active by default with IIS 10.0 on Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10.
- IIS on Nano Server: IIS is easy and quick to install on Nano Server. You can manage IIS remotely with PowerShell or the IIS Manager console. Nano Server is much faster and consumes less memory and disk space that the full-fledged Windows Server. Rebooting is also faster so that you can manage time effectively.
- Wildcard Host Headers: IIS 10.0 support the subdomain feature for your parent domain name. This will really help you manage more subdomains with the same primary domain name.
- PowerShell 5 cmdlets: IIS 10.0 adds a new, simplified PowerShell module for quick and easy management. You can use PowerShell to access server-management features remotely. It also supports existing WebAdministration cmdlets.
- FTP: FTP is a simple protocol for transferring files. This system can transfer files inside your company LAN and WAN using the default port, 21. IIS 10.0 includes an FTP server that is easy to configure and manage.
- FTPS: FTPS is the same as FTP, with the only difference that it is secure. FTPS transfers data with SSL. We are going to use HTTPS port 443. For this, we need to create and install an SSL certificate that encrypts and decrypts data securely. SSL ensures that all data passed between web server and browser remains private and consistent during upload and download over private or public networks.
- Multi-web hosting: IIS 10.0 allows you to create multiple websites and multiple applications on the same server. You can easily manage and create a new virtual directory located in the default location or a custom location.
- Virtual directories: IIS 10.0 makes it easy to manage and create the virtual directories you require.
Start, Stop, Restart IIS Service by Command Line
Open the Command prompt, press Windows key + R and type “cmd”, the Command Prompt window opens displaying and waiting,
type the following commands,
To Stop IIS : iisreset /stop To Start IIS : iisreset /start To Restart IIS : iisreset /restart
Check IIS Service Status by Command Line
Note: If you may getting an error when restart error “Restart Attempt Failed” again type the command.