terminator is an open-source terminal emulator that allows you to arrange multiple GNOME terminals in one window. It is a powerful tool for developers, system administrators, and anyone who frequently works with multiple terminals at the same time. terminator is designed to be highly customizable and flexible, with a wide range of features and options that can be tailored to suit your workflow.
Some of the key features of terminator include:
- Multiple terminals in one window: terminator allows you to split your terminal window into multiple panes, each of which can be used to run a separate terminal session. You can create any number of panes, and arrange them in various configurations to suit your needs.
- Customizable layouts: You can save your preferred pane layouts as custom profiles, and quickly switch between them using keyboard shortcuts or the terminator menu. This is especially useful if you frequently work on different projects or tasks that require different terminal configurations.
- Customizable appearance: terminator allows you to customize the appearance of your terminal window, including the font, colors, background, and border. You can also set up transparency for your terminal panes, which can be useful for working with overlapping windows.
- Powerful keyboard shortcuts: terminator provides a wide range of keyboard shortcuts that allow you to quickly perform common tasks, such as navigating between panes, resizing panes, and creating new panes.
- Integration with other tools: terminator integrates with a variety of other tools, such as SSH clients and text editors, to provide a seamless workflow for working with multiple terminals.
If you encounter the below error while running the command terminator:
terminator: command not found
you may try installing the below package as per your choice of distribution:
|Debian||apt-get install terminator|
|Ubuntu||apt-get install terminator|
|Alpine||apk add terminator|
|Arch Linux||pacman -S terminator|
|Kali Linux||apt-get install terminator|
|Fedora||dnf install terminator|
|OS X||brew install terminator|
|Raspbian||apt-get install terminator|
terminator Command Examples
1. Start terminator window:
2. Start with a fullscreen window:
# terminator -f
3. Split terminals horizontally:
Ctrl + Shift + O
4. Split terminals vertically:
Ctrl + Shift + E
5. Open new tab:
Ctrl + Shift + T
terminator is available for Linux and other Unix-like systems, and can be installed from the package repositories of most popular distributions. It is free and open-source software, licensed under the GPL. If you frequently work with multiple terminal sessions and are looking for a powerful and flexible terminal emulator, terminator is definitely worth checking out.