rofi is a fast and lightweight application launcher and window switcher for Linux. It is a popular alternative to other launchers like dmenu and gnome-do. rofi is highly customizable and can be used to quickly launch applications, switch between windows, and perform other tasks.
Here are some of the main features of rofi:
- Application launcher: rofi can be used to launch applications quickly and easily. It provides a searchable list of installed applications, allowing users to find and launch applications with just a few keystrokes.
- Window switcher: rofi can also be used to switch between open windows on the desktop. It provides a list of open windows, allowing users to quickly switch between them.
- Customizable: rofi is highly customizable, allowing users to adjust the appearance and behavior of the launcher. Users can choose from a variety of themes and customize the keybindings used to launch applications and switch between windows.
- Fast and lightweight: rofi is designed to be fast and lightweight, making it a good choice for older or low-powered computers.
If you encounter the below error while running the command rofi:
rofi: command not found
you may try installing the below package as per your choice of distribution:
|Debian||apt-get install rofi|
|Ubuntu||apt-get install rofi|
|Arch Linux||pacman -S rofi|
|Kali Linux||apt-get install rofi|
|Fedora||dnf install rofi|
|Raspbian||apt-get install rofi|
rofi Command Examples
1. Show the list of apps:
# rofi -show drun
2. Show the list of all commands:
# rofi -show run
3. Switch between windows:
# rofi -show window
4. Pipe a list of items to stdin and print the selected item to stdout:
# printf "Choice1\nChoice2\nChoice3" | rofi -dmenu
Overall, rofi is a useful tool for Linux users who want a fast and customizable application launcher and window switcher. Its ease of use, flexibility, and speed make it a popular choice among Linux users.