RetroArch is a free, open-source frontend for emulators, game engines, and media players. It provides a unified interface for launching and managing games and media content from different platforms and systems.
The main features of RetroArch include:
- Cross-platform support: RetroArch is available on multiple platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and more. This means that you can use it to play games and media content on a variety of devices.
- Support for multiple systems: RetroArch supports a wide range of emulators, game engines, and media players, including popular ones like MAME, SNES9x, Nestopia, DOSBox, and more. This allows you to play games and media content from a variety of platforms and systems.
- Customizable interface: RetroArch provides a customizable interface that allows you to tailor the frontend to your preferences. You can change the theme, layout, and even create your own playlists.
- Save states and rewind support: RetroArch allows you to save and load game states, so you can pick up where you left off. It also supports a rewind feature, which allows you to go back in time and undo mistakes.
- Netplay support: RetroArch provides netplay support, which allows you to play games online with other players.
- Libretro API: RetroArch is built on top of the libretro API, which is a simple and lightweight interface for emulators, game engines, and media players. This means that RetroArch can run any libretro-compatible emulator or player.
retroarch Command Examples
1. Start in the menu mode:
2. Start in full screen mode:
# retroarch --fullscreen
3. List all compiled features:
# retroarch --features
4. Set the path of a configuration file:
# retroarch --config=path/to/config_file
5. Display help:
# retroarch --help
6. Display version:
# retroarch --version
Overall, RetroArch is a powerful and versatile frontend that provides a unified interface for playing games and media content from different platforms and systems. It is particularly useful for retro gaming enthusiasts and anyone who wants to play classic games on modern devices.