The “chillispot” package is an open-source software package available for Ubuntu that provides a captive portal-based authentication system for Wi-Fi hotspots. It is primarily designed for use in public areas such as cafes, hotels, and airports, where users need to log in to access the internet.
Here are some key features of the “chillispot” package:
- Captive portal authentication: Chillispot provides a captive portal-based authentication system that allows users to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot and authenticate themselves before accessing the internet.
- User authentication: The system supports a range of authentication methods, including simple login/password, RADIUS, LDAP, and SQL.
- Session management: Chillispot allows network administrators to define session duration, idle timeout, and other parameters to control user access to the internet.
- Customizable web interface: The package includes a customizable web interface that can be branded with the hotspot owner’s logo and other branding elements.
- Access control: Chillispot allows network administrators to define access control policies based on user attributes such as user group, location, and time of day.
- Traffic shaping: The system includes built-in support for bandwidth management and traffic shaping to ensure that each user gets a fair share of the available bandwidth.
- Multiple language support: Chillispot supports multiple languages, making it suitable for use in multi-lingual environments.
- Open-source and free: Chillispot is released under the GNU General Public License, which means that it is open-source and free to use.
Uninstalling chillispot software package in Ubuntu
You can uninstall an installed chillispot package from Ubuntu using the below command:
$ sudo apt-get remove chillispot
Uninstall chillispot including dependent package
If you would like to remove chillispot and it’s dependent packages which are no longer needed from Ubuntu:
$ sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove chillispot
Use Purging chillispot
If you use with purge options to chillispot package all the configuration and dependent packages will be removed.
$ sudo apt-get purge chillispot
If you use purge options along with auto remove, will be removed everything regarding the package, It’s really useful when you want to reinstall again.
$ sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove chillispot
The “chillispot” package is ideal for network administrators who need to provide Wi-Fi access to users in public areas and want to control user access and usage. It is particularly useful for cafes, hotels, airports, and other public places that offer Wi-Fi access to customers.