Hangups is a third-party command-line client designed to provide users with access to Google Hangouts directly from the terminal. Developed as an alternative interface for interacting with the Hangouts messaging platform, Hangups offers a streamlined and efficient way to send and receive messages, manage conversations, and access Hangouts features using text-based commands.
Key features and functionalities of Hangups include:
- Text-based Interface: Hangups offers a text-based interface, allowing users to interact with Google Hangouts using command-line commands and text input. This minimalist approach provides a lightweight and efficient means of accessing Hangouts functionality without the need for a graphical user interface (GUI).
- Message Sending and Receiving: Users can send and receive messages through Hangups, enabling real-time communication with contacts and groups on Google Hangouts. Whether exchanging text messages, sharing links, or sending multimedia content, Hangups supports a variety of message types commonly used in Hangouts conversations.
- Conversation Management: Hangups enables users to manage their Hangouts conversations from the command line, including creating new conversations, joining existing ones, and viewing message history. This allows for efficient organization and navigation of conversations, especially for users who prefer text-based interfaces or terminal-based workflows.
- Contact List Access: Users can access their Hangouts contact list and view the online/offline status of contacts directly from Hangups. This feature provides visibility into the availability of contacts and facilitates the initiation of new conversations or the addition of participants to existing ones.
- Rich Text Formatting: Hangups supports basic text formatting features, allowing users to apply formatting to their messages using simple syntax. This includes options for bold, italic, and underlined text, as well as inline links and code snippets, enhancing the readability and expressiveness of messages sent through Hangups.
- Customization and Configuration: Hangups offers configuration options that allow users to customize various aspects of the client’s behavior and appearance. This includes settings for notification preferences, message display settings, and keyboard shortcuts, enabling users to tailor Hangups to their preferences and workflow requirements.
- Open Source and Community-driven: As an open-source project hosted on GitHub, Hangups benefits from contributions and feedback from a vibrant community of developers and users. This collaborative ecosystem ensures ongoing development, bug fixes, and enhancements to Hangups, as well as provides support and resources for users getting started with the client.
hangups Command Examples
1. Start hangups:
2. View troubleshooting information and help:
# hangups -h
3. Set a refresh token for hangups:
# hangups --token-path [path/to/token]
Overall, Hangups provides a convenient and versatile solution for accessing Google Hangouts from the command line, offering a text-based interface that is suitable for users who prefer terminal-based workflows or require a lightweight alternative to traditional Hangouts clients. With its simplicity, efficiency, and extensibility, Hangups empowers users to stay connected and communicate effectively on Google Hangouts, directly from the comfort of their terminal.