“Glances” is a versatile and cross-platform system monitoring tool designed to provide users with comprehensive insights into the performance of their computer systems. It offers a real-time view of various system metrics and resource utilization, making it a valuable tool for system administrators, DevOps professionals, and anyone interested in monitoring system health.
Key features of Glances include:
- Cross-Platform Compatibility: Glances is compatible with a wide range of operating systems, including Linux, macOS, Windows, and more. This versatility allows users to monitor systems across different platforms seamlessly.
- Real-Time Monitoring: Glances provides real-time updates on critical system parameters, such as CPU usage, memory usage, disk activity, network activity, and more. Users can quickly identify performance bottlenecks and resource-intensive processes.
- Interactive Command-Line Interface: Glances offers an interactive command-line interface (CLI) that displays system statistics in a clear and concise format. Users can navigate through different metrics and sort data to focus on specific aspects of system performance.
- Plugin Support: Glances supports a plugin architecture that allows users to extend its functionality. Various plugins are available to monitor specific services and applications, making it a versatile tool for customizing monitoring needs.
- Alerting and Notification: Users can set up alerts and notifications based on predefined thresholds for various metrics. Glances can send notifications through email or other methods when specified conditions are met.
- Remote Monitoring: Glances can be used for remote monitoring of multiple systems from a single interface. This is particularly useful for managing server farms or clusters.
- Web-Based Interface: Glances provides a web-based interface for users who prefer a graphical representation of system statistics. This feature enhances accessibility and ease of use.
- API and Export: Glances offers an API that allows users to access system data programmatically. It also supports exporting data to various formats, facilitating further analysis and reporting.
glances Command Examples
1. Run in terminal:
2. Run in web server mode to show results in browser:
# glances -w
3. Run in server mode to allow connections from other Glances clients:
# glances -s
4. Connect to a Glances server:
# glances -c hostname
5. Require a password in (web) server mode:
# glances -s --password
Overall, Glances is a powerful system monitoring tool that empowers users to keep a close eye on the health and performance of their computer systems, enabling proactive maintenance and troubleshooting. Its flexibility and extensive feature set make it a valuable addition to any system administrator’s toolkit.