“fin” is a command-line utility that belongs to Docksal, a development environment and toolset for web developers. Docksal is designed to streamline the setup and management of local development environments, particularly for projects built with web technologies. “fin” serves as the primary interface for interacting with Docksal and provides various commands to manage and work with your development environment.
Here are some key features and functionalities of “fin”:
- Development Environment Management: “fin” allows you to manage your local development environment effortlessly. You can start, stop, and restart your development environment using commands provided by “fin”. It abstracts the complexity of configuring web servers, databases, and other necessary components, providing you with a consistent and reproducible environment for your web development projects.
- Project Configuration: With “fin”, you can define project-specific configurations for your development environment. These configurations may include details such as the web server version, PHP version, database settings, environment variables, and more. By specifying these settings, “fin” can automatically set up the environment according to your project requirements.
- Service Management: “fin” enables you to manage services within your development environment. You can start, stop, and restart services like web servers, databases, caching servers, and other components essential for your web development projects. This allows you to have fine-grained control over the services running in your environment and make necessary adjustments as needed.
- Command Execution: “fin” provides the ability to execute commands within your development environment. This allows you to run various tasks and scripts required for your web development workflow. For example, you can run database migrations, execute build scripts, install dependencies, and perform other development-related tasks directly from the command line using “fin”.
- Integration with Version Control Systems: “fin” seamlessly integrates with version control systems like Git. It provides commands and functionality to clone, initialize, and manage repositories within your development environment. This allows you to easily collaborate with other developers, manage code versions, and leverage the capabilities of version control systems in your web development projects.
- Extensibility: Docksal and “fin” are designed to be extensible, allowing you to add custom configurations, scripts, and plugins to enhance your development environment. You can integrate additional tools and services, create custom commands, and tailor the environment to your specific project requirements.
- Cross-Platform Support: Docksal and “fin” are built to be cross-platform, supporting multiple operating systems such as Linux, macOS, and Windows. This ensures that developers using different platforms can have a consistent and unified development experience.
fin Command Examples
1. Start the project in the current directory:
# fin project start
2. Stop the project in the current directory:
# fin project stop
3. Open a shell into a specific container:
# fin bash container_name
4. Display logs of a specific container:
# fin logs container_name
5. Display logs of a specific container and follow the log:
# fin logs -f container_name
In summary, “fin” is a command-line utility that is part of Docksal, a development environment and toolset for web developers. It provides commands and functionality to manage your local development environment, configure project-specific settings, control services, execute commands, and integrate with version control systems. With its focus on streamlining web development workflows and providing a consistent environment, “fin” simplifies the setup and management of local development environments, allowing developers to focus more on their projects and increase productivity.