“calibre-server” is a server application designed to distribute e-books over a network. It allows users to access and share their e-book library remotely, providing a convenient way to read and download e-books from various devices connected to the network. It is important to note that the e-books must already be imported into the library using the calibre graphical user interface (GUI) or the calibredb command-line interface (CLI).
Here are the key features and functionalities of “calibre-server”:
- Remote Access to E-books: With “calibre-server,” users can access their e-book library from any device connected to the network. This includes computers, smartphones, tablets, e-book readers, and other compatible devices. Users can browse their library, search for specific books, and access detailed book information.
- Web-Based Interface: The server application provides a web-based interface that allows users to interact with their e-book library using a standard web browser. This interface offers a user-friendly way to navigate through the library, view book covers, read book descriptions, and access various book formats.
- Book Download and Conversion: Users can download e-books from their library in different formats supported by “calibre,” such as EPUB, MOBI, PDF, or AZW3. Additionally, “calibre-server” provides on-the-fly conversion of e-books to different formats, allowing users to download books in a format compatible with their reading devices or preferences.
- Customization and Configuration: “calibre-server” offers configuration options to customize the server settings according to user preferences. Users can specify the port number, enable or disable features like OPDS (Open Publication Distribution System) support, configure authentication, and set up SSL/TLS encryption for secure communication.
- User Management and Access Control: The server application supports user management and access control. Users can create multiple user accounts, each with their own set of permissions and access rights. This feature allows users to control who can access their library and what actions they can perform, ensuring privacy and security.
- OPDS Support: “calibre-server” implements the OPDS standard, making it compatible with various e-book reading applications that support this protocol. OPDS enables users to discover, browse, and download e-books from the server directly within OPDS-compliant reading apps, enhancing the interoperability and ease of use.
“calibre-server” enhances the usability and accessibility of e-books by providing a server application that allows users to distribute their e-book library over a network. With its web-based interface, customizable settings, and support for various e-book formats, it offers a seamless experience for remotely accessing and sharing e-books. It is an invaluable tool for e-book enthusiasts and provides a convenient solution for managing and sharing digital book collections.
calibre-server Command Examples
1. Start a server to distribute e-books. Access at http://localhost:8080:
2. Start server on different port. Access at http://localhost:port:
# calibre-server --port port
3. Password protect the server:
# calibre-server --username username --password password