Booting into single user mode from DVD has not changed much in Solaris 11 (x86/X64). Here’s a quick review of steps to boot into single user mode using the installation media.
1. Insert the Solaris x86 cdrom/dvd in the drive
2. Press the function key listed on-screen to reach the boot menu. This varies dependent upon the system’s BIOS, but is often F8 or F12.
3. Select the cdrom/dvd device from the boot menu and press ENTER
4. Select the keyboard layout (press enter to select default US-English layout).
5. Select the language (default is English):
6. On the next screen choose the option 3 (shell) to enter the shell prompt.