The post discusses the installation procedure of CentOS / RHEL 7 on RAID 1 partition. We will use 2 disks for the installation so as to get the RAID 1 configuration.
We will use Below settings for root, swap and /boot partitions :
- Device Type – RAID
- RAID level – RAID 1
- File system – XFS
Installation using RAID 1 Partition
1. Once you are done with all the primary settings like setting language etc, you would get to the screen where you can select the installation destination.
2. Select the 2 disks present on the system – sda and sdb. Also select the button I will configure partitioning and then click button done.
3. Click create them automatically.
4. Select Device Type to be RAID and write your personal label, such as md0.
5. Similarly, you can set the Device type and labels for swap and /boot partitions as shown below.
If you want to add other partition, then click + on the left bottom, then enter size. Select Device Type to be RAID as well.
6. Then click Done to format the partition.
7. Then continue the installation process.
Verify the RAID configuration
You can verify the RAID configuration using the df command. As shown below the device used for root file system is md126.
You can also use the command mdadm –query –detail /dev/md127 for more details.