These steps will allow you to change the passwords for SYS, SYSTEM, and the oracle user at the operating system level.
1. Log into Oracle as internal or sysdba
$ svrmgrl command="connect internal"
– or –
$ sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
2. Type the following commands:
SQL> ALTER USER SYS IDENTIFIED BY [password]; SQL> ALTER USER SYSTEM IDENTIFIED BY [password];
3. Log off of Oracle and reconnect as SYS or SYSTEM and test the new password
1 Log in as the oracle software owner, usually ‘oracle’.
2. Type the following:
3. It will prompt you for the current password, enter current password.
4. It will then prompt you for the new password, enter the new password.
5. It will then ask for a confirmation of new password, re-enter new password.